Friday, September 27, 2013

No more Chipotle for me!


I used to love Chipotle but then I saw their new ad campaign that demonizes American farmers and our way of life.  I actually had a burrito just a few weeks ago and I highly regret spending a dime at that restaurant.  If you haven't seen the video, please take a few minutes and watch it below.




I have shared some thoughts on facebook threads but thought I would reiterate my feelings in my blog.  Also, please read my sister's blog at http://www.cox-farm.com/dear-chipotle-i-am-the-face-of-the-industrial-producer/.  Her blog's goal is to put a face to the industrial producer that is condemned in the video.  I thought she communicated her thoughts perfectly!

The video made me want to throw up because it is full of inaccuracies and scare tactics.  The most infuriating part of it for me was seeing the "sad cows" raised in factories.  As a rancher's wife, I know how hard my husband works to keep our cows happy.  Sometimes it feels like he spends more time with them than he does with Lorena and me!  They are fed a healthy ration of corn, hay, and other crops harvested from our fields.  They graze on lush pastures 6 months of the year.  During the winter, the cows getting ready to have babies are our top priority.  The calves born each spring are our paycheck for the year.  Therefore, we do everything in our power to keep the momma cows safe and make sure each calf is born healthy.  Yes, these calves may be given some hormones to help them grow strong, and yes, they may be given antibiotics and medicine to stay healthy.  But the consumer has to realize that everything we do is to keep the cattle healthy and "happy."  Unhealthy cows = unhappy cows = unprofitable ranchers = unhappy ranchers.  Makes sense right?

The video suggests that cattle are grown in factories.  The only time cattle are taken to a factory is for processing.  The media has turned the word "processed" into a dirty word. Yes, there are some types of meat that probably shouldn't be eaten.  Some chicken cuts are turned into nuggets and hot dogs are made from such a hodgepodge of different types of animals that I tend to steer clear of them.  This commercial suggests that all meat is made into these processed products. ALL animals must be "processed" before they hit the store and reach the consumers plate. Processed means humanely slaughtered, cut into the different cuts that people enjoy, and safely packaged and either frozen or refrigerated and taken to the store. This "process" is not evil. Even our own farm raised beef calves have to be processed. We load the calf into a trailer, and take it to the processing plant an hour away where it is slaughtered, cut the way we like it, and ready for pick up in about a week. We are very fortunate since we know exactly where our meat comes from.  I think it is important for consumers to know where food comes from, but these ridiculous ad campaigns from companies like Chipotle couldn't be further from the truth.

My only hope is that American consumers are smart enough to realize the lies in this campaign. If you have any questions please ask a real farmer or rancher and we will try our best to answer your questions. Farmers care most about raising their animals the right way and take great pride in the "process" of knowing quality meat will end up on someone's dinner plate. I just can't see how this advertisement does anything but condemn American Farmers who provide food for the world. 



Sad Cows
Oh my, processed beef! 

Evil factory farmers





No comments:

Post a Comment