Saturday, April 29, 2017

Back where it belongs

Most of you probably know that Dan and I live in the house where he grew up.  My father in law built a china cabinet in the wall at the house decades ago.  Cindy and Ernie's wedding china sat in the cabinet until we got married in 2009.  At that same time, they let us buy the house and they moved off the farm and into town.  Their china sat at their house in town until last week when we moved it back where it belongs to the cabinet Ernie built at our house.

We didn't get any fancy china at our wedding, so Dan's sisters decided the china was for us to keep.  We don't have the biggest house and I can be pretty picky about what I keep, but I was really happy to get this china set.  I like family keepsakes that have memories and meaning.  This china was given to Cindy and Ernie at their wedding by Cindy's Aunt.  Cindy treasured it and brought it out for special occasions.  We usually ate on it for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes, she used it just because she wanted to!  I remember one night when I was visiting from Illinois (Dan and I had just started dating at this point), Cindy decided to bring it out for the evening meal.  I think Cindy was trying to impress me.  Ernie and Dan seemed somewhat perplexed as to why she would use it on an ordinary night, but I think she was doing all she could to get me to stay with Dan!

I definitely treasure this china set and look forward to using it for special occasions in years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment